Design, Engineering + Build
In San Diego’s increasingly cosmopolitan North County, a young family of four from Belgium knew exactly what they wanted built on a most desirable property: a residence focused on family living and entertaining, with certain traditional Belgian elements encased in a contemporary American design. The Lahayes were especially insistent on blending indoor and outdoor spaces to take advantage of the lot, the landscape, and San Diego’s exceptional weather. With two daughters, the clients also specified the residence accommodate a lifestyle that balances family activities with frequent and generous hospitality. Other concerns included privacy and maintaining a close relationship with nature, along with directing sight lines to maximize the finest views.
The Lahayes specified a very elevated design for their home – and got what they wanted by handing the challenge to Soheil Nakhshab, Principal Designer of NDD. The property, chosen in Encinitas’ equestrian-oriented Olivenhain neighborhood (because the mother and daughters are ardent riders) was essentially a blank canvas. Given full freedom to design and engineer a home perfectly matched to his clients’ requirements, Soheil created a spacious, one-story residence inspired by the distinctly American style popularized in the 1950s. A “Mid-Century Modern” home in a rural but upscale community, where ocean breezes cool the rolling hills, the Lahaye residence is not typical of the area, yet fits in perfectly. To conceive the unique property, NDD focused not just on the Lahaye’s European background and professional sophistication, but on their hip, very personal version of the Southern California lifestyle.
LEED Gold Certified, the residence is loaded with green elements, both passive and prescriptive; including a rooftop solar array, LED lighting, permeable pavement, drought-tolerant landscaping, and Energy star lighting and appliances. NDD sourced materials locally and had high efficiency standards for selected products to use in the home.
Twenty feet of retractable glass doors, outdoor kitchen and bar, spacious swimming pool, and a seductively comfortable lounge area are a few notable features. Handsome limestone flooring flows to these areas seamlessly blending indoor and outdoor space. By welcoming nature into the center of the home, the atrium works as a unique focal point for almost every room. Signature NDD details include custom walnut cabinets, and the custom steel cabinetry that surrounds the linear, wood-burning fireplace.
- – The approximately 3,000 SF home has 4 bedrooms, 4.5 bathrooms, a family room, and a sprawling great room complete with gourmet kitchen.
- – The L shape design allows for the creation of private and public spaces with the family room and bedrooms at one end of the home and the guest suite and entertaining space on the other.
- – 20 feet of retracting glass doors connect the indoor entertaining space with the outdoor entertaining space, which includes an outdoor kitchen and bar, swimming pool, and lounge area.
- – The indoor atrium literally brings the outdoors in and creates a unique focal point from almost every spot in the house.
- – Natural materials such as stone, rich woods, and lush plantings allow the home to seamlessly fit in with the natural landscape of the site.
- – LEED Gold Certified